Even though we've all been brushing our teeth at least twice a day (right?), many of us aren't brushing properly each day. Visiting the dentist for your routine exam and cleaning is vital for your oral care, but it's also important that you are brushing correctly during your at-home care to ensure that your teeth stay healthy and clean. Here are some tips on how to properly care for your teeth and gums daily:
Best Practices for Brushing
- Brush for two minutes: For most of us, when we brush daily, it's fast, likely no where near the amount of time we should be. You should be brushing your teeth for a full two minutes each time. Most electric toothbrushes are actually set to stay on for this amount of time to help us out!
- Twice a day: You should be brushing your teeth at least twice a day. Once in the morning, and once before bed. This helps to keep your teeth properly clean between dentist visits.
- Flossing: You should be flossing once each day, preferably before bed. This helps to rid your teeth of any food particles left behind from your meals for the day.
- Pressure: If you brush too hard, your gums can become inflamed and damaged. However, brushing too lightly may not properly clean the teeth. You want to brush with a medium pressure, and choosing a soft-bristled tooth brush can help with this as well.
- Replace your brush: Replacing your brush regularly ensures that you'll be using a tool that properly clears your teeth of any debris. You should replace your toothbrush about once every three months, or as soon as it starts to show signs of wear.
Talk to Your Concord NH Dentist
If you have questions about the proper way to brush and care for your teeth at home, ask us at White Park Dental! We will be able to begin with an exam and cleaning, and our team can advise you if there are any improvements you should be making to the way you brush your teeth. Proper at-home care can make a big difference in your oral health! Contact our office today to schedule an appointment to get started.