If you're going to a new dentist, or if you're visiting the dental office and it's been a while, you might not know all the right questions to ask before and during your appointment. The best way to have a stress-free experience at the dentist is to be informed every step of the way!
What to ask your dentist:
- Will we discuss costs before any procedure is started? Keeping up with your oral health involves a cost on your end typically, depending on your dental coverage and the procedures that you may need. The last thing you want is a dental office that performs a procedure without discussing cost first- you'll be stuck with the bill. Make sure to ask your dentist or a staff member if you'll be able to ensure that costs are reviewed in full prior to any work being completed.
- What can I expect during the first exam? Most dental exams consist of x-rays, an exam from the dentist, and a consultation about your dental health history, as well as any treatments that you may need. However, if you are visiting a dentist for a specific reason, the process might be a bit different. Typically the staff member that you speak with over the phone can answer this question to help you be more prepared.
- What can I do to improve? We all know we should be brushing and flossing regularly, but most of us could improve our oral health in some way. Your dentist will be evaluating your teeth and gums, and this is a great time to ask where and how you can improve your dental health. Getting specific suggestions, and following through with them, is one of the best ways to improve your oral health and stay healthy over time.
- Is there anything I should tell my doctor about? Studies have shown that a wide array of health issues are linked to oral health issues. As with any health condition, it's best to catch and treat any problems early on. Your dentist will be able to tell you if you have any concerns that may affect your overall health. Your general care doctor may be able to help you with this via your dentist's information!
- What's the best way to care for my teeth? Just like your overall health, everyone needs unique dental care. Depending on the state of your oral health, your dentist may be able to recommend the best ways to care for your teeth moving forward. Maybe that means that you need a different toothbrush or a fluoride toothpaste, or maybe you'll need more than just two cleanings every year.
Call your Concord, NH dentist
Having an open communication with your dentist can help you achieve greater health, and it can also make for a much less stressful experience! If you have any questions, or if you'd like to schedule an appointment, don't hesitate to contact our office today for more information!